Sunday, January 25, 2009

Greatest Ocean Wildlife Encounter?


So, I am assuming that a great many of you that are monitoring this site are SCUBA divers since you were probably compelled into diving by the Mad Man.


Question; have you ever considered to date what has been your greatest ocean wildlife encounter? I believe mine was a brief snorkel with a manatee in a 30' deep channel in Belize off Tobacco Cay. I was shocked by its white color, massive size (VW buggish) and it gracefulness in the water. He was completely aware of us and showed no concern or fear. Though the whole encounter was only a minute or two it made a great impression on me. By the way we learned it was a 'he' from our Belizian guide because it had no visible 'breasts'. (this is why some think manatees were what sailors thought were mermaids. Man, they must have been away at sea a very long time. I know men are obsessed with boobs, but a manatee?) I'll betcha you didn't know that little bit of trivia.

12 comments:

brenna said...

I have to agree. Manatees have always been one of my favorite sea creatures, and that was just amazing. I also liked the dolphins, even though it was only for 2 seconds...

Amber said...

I regret not jumping in and seeing the manatee from underwater. I am counting on points from Heaven for staying aboard to empathize with a husband with a defective snorkel.

I still love juvenile trunk fish. And the huge crabs and lobsters we saw on my first night dive.

Suz said...

I have to agree that my heart is fondest of the manatee and the dolphin encounters.
My first shark was pretty intense too. We were coming through a swim-through and I saw the shark's tail swim up and over where we were coming out. My heart skipped a few beats and if our DM hadn't taken off after it, I would have been too scared to come out of the tunnel. His confidence gave me courage.

Bob said...

Some guys just take it any way they can.

Colt said...

i'd probably have to say the shark as well

Dave said...

I have to admit the first reef shark encounter was pretty amazing. Also, when when I stuck my head in a hole in Costa Rica and I was looking into the face of a white tip reef as broad as my shoulders only 2' away, that was intense.

Still, the manatee in the ocean was the most memorable for me to date.

Suz said...

Next, ask us which dives were our favorites.

Erin said...

Whale sharks. Can't wait to see one again.

Abraham said...

Dragon Morays in Hawaii!

P.S. Suz, which dives were your favorites???

Suz said...

I can't answer until the blogger asks the question.

Dave said...

What was your favorite dive, Suz and anyone else.

Suz said...

Favorite Dive...The first time I did "Bricks" in Cozumel.

I have had amazing dives since then but the first time I ever came out over the abyss like that was absolutely breathtaking.